Life is full of twists and turns, ups and downs, fastballs and breaking balls. After almost four years in Cairo an exit strategy that has been in the works for awhile has finally come to fruition. Over the next handful of weeks I’ll be planning, packing up a life, tying up loose ends and saying a myriad of goodbyes.
It’s time to move on. This Intolerant will be taking her nomadic self back across the pond to New York.
Naturally, there’s a whole lot to be done before touching down in NYC. The next few months are going to include a host of adventures such as (things that don’t involve wading through a sea of cardboard boxes and packing foam):
- A trip to the Saqqara pyramids.
- A visit to a (supposed) monastery on the outskirts of Cairo where beer and moonshine is brewed. If it’s there…I’ll find it.
- Checking out Egypt’s National Circus.
- Frequenting several “must eat” places and favourite restaurants in Cairo.
- Spending a weekend in the desert with the bedouins.
- Recalibrating in Belgium.
- 48 hours in Berlin and possibly Paris.
- Yoga in Central America (oh hell yes…).
I’m still slightly in a daze so I think I’ll start by raising a glass and giving myself another 24 hours for it all to sink in.
And only then will I decide how to prepare for the city that never sleeps.